So, I had been thinking to attend a Civil War Ball this very night, but decided at last minute after really thinking over the budget that of the two balls that are on my radar, I would rather spend my very little cash and go to the Regency era one instead. In the summer, when cash flow is better, there are quite a few reenactments with their own balls and the like so I don’t feel like I’m missing out on anything. There are other balls but only one Regency one in my area. Still, I had been set to go which meant I needed to make a headpiece to go with my ball gown.
Usually, when attending a ball, I make do with borrowed pieces or whatever flowers I have around. While my hair is unruly most days, its curls are great for holding flowers. Having no access to borrowed goods this time around, I made a trip to the local Joann’s for some things. I really didn’t expect to find what I was looking for but bam! There was a clearance flower bridal crown ($5) and some of their spring floral being set with some delicate, paper flowers. I scooped up a purple and a more vibrant pink… and some purple ribbon to wrap around it and get rid of the dull white.
It’s a pretty easy creation but man! Those small flowers were not wire like I had thought, but plastic stemmed and fought me the entire way. Somehow I managed to weave them all into place, a few sparkly beads hidden in there for fun and wrap it with ribbon. I used hot glue to hold the ribbon in place every couple of wraps and I’m quite pleased. It isn’t as full or big as I originally planned but after putting it on my head, I like it better.
Next up: some more steampunk with the bolero… and tackling the bonnet. AH!